Deb Ferns, author of Babes with Bullets and Founder of the Women’s Outdoor Media Association (theWOMA.org).
Deb Ferns MBA, shot a handgun for the first time at age 45 and was instantly “hooked” on shooting a variety of handgun competitions. In April 2004 at age 50 Ferns was invited by one of the top female handgun champions, Lisa Munson, to attend a “ladies only” weekend shooting camp at the home of Kay Miculek. (Kay is also a many time world and national handgun champion and multigun champion.) At the end of the camp Deb convinced Kay and Lisa to be the head instructors for a traveling program, named Babes with Bullets, while she took on the role of camp director. The Babes camps, recognized as the leader of women’s shooting programs for the last 16 years, would take a team of top ranked female instructors to ranges in 48 states, teaching over 6,000 women in a three day format.
Ferns authored the book, Babes with Bullets, where she compiled a variety of interviews from women across America on their adventures into shooting sports. Deb is the Founder of the Women’s Outdoor Media Association (theWOMA.org), and was awarded a NSSF Heritage Grant for her work in mentoring women in the hunting fields. In 2020 Deb was the first Super Senior woman (65+) to shoot in the Heavy Metal “multigun” world championships with a .308 AR-10, .45 caliber handgun and 12 gauge shotgun.
She teaches Hatha yoga at a local senior center and resides in Tucson, AZ, with her husband, Gary and their two rescue Mastiffs. They have two daughters, Raya and Casey.
Our guest today is Deb Ferns. Deb is the Founder of both Women’s Outdoor Media Association and the She Never Quit Event. The SNQ is an annual charity event that fosters community and leadership encouraging and promoting women who are, and who want to become, active in the shooting sports, archery, fishing, and hunting through social and mass media.
The 2021 SNQ brought together women of every skill level from all across the nation to enjoy camaraderie and the outdoor sports in a safe and fun environment with world-class trainers.
1) As an attendee I can enthusiastically say Congratulations on a hugely successful event! Tell us about it.
2) We had the opportunity to interview several of your Board Members and attendees. One of the attendees had come back for her second year and she used the word “transformative”. For people who haven’t been to one of your events, help them understand why that word is so perfect.
3) Your trainers are world-class and your individual ranges and events are safe and because they are safe they are FUN! Talk to us about who your trainers were in 2021.
4) Talk to us about who does attend, and who SHOULD attend.
5) The SNQ is a charity event. Who benefits from the proceeds?
6) When and where is the 2022 event?